" To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow." - Audrey Hepburn

Friday, January 9, 2015

An Interesting Dinner (Using Black Bean Noodles)

As I was shopping at my local grocery store in the pasta section (because I'm a total pasta-aholic... LOL) I noticed an interesting noodle- black bean noodles. A total no grain way of eating pasta! I am always looking for ways to satisfy my craving for pasta with a healthier alternative. I started out cooking whole wheat pasta. Then began reading all of the information about "wheat belly." So I stopped buying whole wheat pasta. Then I began to buy brown rice noodles. I really enjoyed the brown rice pasta. It had a very good taste and texture. I also am a HUGE fan of the quinoa pasta. They have the best flavor of any of the pasta alternatives that I've bought, in my opinion. But I'm a quinoa lover!

Such an interesting/weird sight to see black pasta! LOL! 


So, when I saw these noodles... I was so excited to have another alternative. I bought them and had them sitting in my cabinet for a couple of months. Because I just didn't know what to do with them. I finally had some time recently and looked up recipes on Pinterest using black bean noodles. I found a southwest recipe that I wanted to try. Tonight was the night that i experimented with this recipe. I added some sautéed garlic with yellow and orange bell peppers (this wasn't originally in the recipe). I think the peppers added a nice taste to it!




The topping mixture: corn, cilantro, butter, sautéed bell peppers & garlic, mixed with lime juice

And of course, you gotta have one of my favorite things in the world to top it with - AVOCADO!


To be honest, the black bean noodles by themselves- don't have much of a taste! So I wouldn't say they were my favorite pasta alternative! :( Although, by the time you add all the toppings, it created a light, refreshing meal! I could see this being a delicious, easy, fresh meal to have on a hot summer day! I think I will keep it in my arsenal! LOL!




The finished product! Voila! 

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/healthy-recipes/mexican-black-bean-spaghetti

This recipe is NOT Paleo! Beans & dairy are not part of the Paleo diet. Like I said before, I'm not by any means following a Paleo diet strictly. I am learning a lot about it and it's benefits. I am trying to eat more along the lines of a paleo diet than I have ever before. It's just so hard for me to give up beans, cheese, and my oatmeal! I am thinking about going on a strict paleo 30 day challenge soon. I'm curious to see how much better my body would feel eating this way.

What do you think about the paleo diet?





No comments:

Post a Comment